Re: [ontolog-forum] Toward Human-Level AI

To: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Philip Jackson <philipcjacksonjr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 13:26:25 -0400
Greetings, Pat.

Thanks very much for your question. For the thesis, I wrote an 'actual working program', described in chapters 5 and 6.  Quoting from slides 24 & 25:
Chapter 5 presents the design for the prototype demonstration system, which I wrote in Jscheme and Java. Jscheme is a version of Scheme implemented in Java by Anderson, Hickey, and Norvig (2006).

The conceptual framework includes preliminary representations of perceived reality, semantic domains, mental spaces, conceptual blends, and event memory.

The prototype conceptual processes include executable concepts with pattern-matching, variable binding, transmission of mental speech acts between subagents, and composable grammatical constructions.

Chapter 6 discusses how the prototype illustrates that the TalaMind approach could potentially support the higher-level mentalities of human-level intelligence.

The demonstration illustrates learning and discovery by reasoning analogically, causal and purposive reasoning, meta-reasoning, imagination via nested conceptual simulation*, and internal dialog between subagents in a society of mind using a language of thought.
* Conceptual processing of hypothetical scenarios, with possible branching of scenarios based on alternative events, such as choices of simulated Tala agents within scenarios. “Nested” means that simulated agents can also perform this processing within hypothetical scenarios.
The simulations show conceptual processing without encyclopedic and commonsense knowledge, and without a scalable, efficient architecture. These are needed to achieve human-level AI.
To avoid overstating (or understating) what the system does, I'd ask that people read chapters 5 and 6 for details. There are also some remarks related to design of the system in section 1.5.

I should say up front that the prototype system is very limited, and only performs predefined conceptual processing using Tala mentalese expressions. I do not claim to actually implement or achieve the higher-level mentalities. Within the scope of a Ph.D. effort, I could only try to show how they could in principle be supported using the thesis approach.

There are other places in this thread where the term "system" has been used more generally, in the abstract, discussing how a human-level AI system should work or be designed. I've been careful to only use the term "demonstration system" in reference to the system described above.

Phil

Thesis: http://www.philjackson.prohosting.com/PCJacksonPhDThesis20140422.pdf
Slides: http://www.philjackson.prohosting.com/TowardHumanLevelAI20140422.pdf
(links included for readers who may be new to the thread.)