Re: [ontolog-forum] NASA plans effort to interpret ancient carvings.

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 16:25:34 -0400
Terry,    (01)

Thanks for the info.  Following is the URL for the book:    (02)

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/files/Archaeology_Anthropology_and_Interstellar_Communication_TAGGED.pdf    (03)

> It strikes me that if they have any success in the endeavor reported
> below, they'll be creating some baseline (albeit Terra focused)
> concepts for ontology.    (04)

Almost any new field expands our catalog of concepts for ontology.
This one is as good as any, and perhaps better than most.    (05)

Among the better ones, I recommend Peirce's semiotics.  He considered
his definition of sign to be applicable to "any scientific intelligence"
among which he included bees, dogs, and parrots.  He also mentioned
humans and added the qualifier "and perhaps beyond".    (06)

It's not clear what he meant by "beyond", but he published an article
on "Logical Machines" in the American Journal of Psychology in 1887:
http://projecteuclid.org/download/pdf_1/euclid.rml/1204900343    (07)

Among his various jobs, Peirce cataloged fossils for Louis Agassiz
at the Harvard museum, he was the director of the Smithsonian
Observatory at Harvard, he was an associate editor of the Century
Dictionary, and he was a lifelong friend of the psychologist
William James.  Logic machines, fossils, astronomy, lexicography,
and psychology -- added to his foundation in mathematics and logic
-- gave him a rather broad perspective.    (08)

And by the way, Peirce was not a dilettante -- he published research
papers in nearly all those fields.  The only book he published in his
lifetime was in astronomy.    (09)