Re: [ontolog-forum] axiom [motionmountain]

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2014 18:20:13 -0400
On 5/9/2014 3:12 PM, Obrst, Leo J. wrote:
> Actually, there is a very convincing argument that the real universe
> is discrete rather than continuous, and finite (very, very large,
> but finite) rather than infinite. See http://motionmountain.net/ ,
> especially volume 4 et. seq.    (01)

There is a consensus that the universe has been finite since the
Big Bang -- and most likely forever after.  There also seems to be
a consensus that all packets of mass and/or energy are quantized.    (02)

So we can probably give a definite maybe to the claim that there
is a finite number of discrete units of whatever.    (03)

On the other hand, those whatevers keep keep combining and splitting up
in all sorts of ways -- including the virtual whatevers that occur even
in a total vacuum.  And there are also claims that our universe is just
one among an infinity of universes in a multiverse.    (04)

But even if the whatevers are discrete, the wave functions for each
of them are continuous -- and they have no sharp boundaries.    (05)

However, in vol. 6 of Motion Mountain (which he says is *speculative*)
Schiller says that we need new mathematics that does not depend on
set theory.    (06)

I think we could give an indefinite maybe to that claim.    (07)

As to the question about what it all means for ontology, I subscribe
to the philosophy of Mr. Natural (in the Robert Crumb comics):    (08)

Question:  Mr Natural, Mr Natural, what do it all mean?!?    (09)

Answer:  It don' mean sheeeit.    (010)