[ontolog-forum] Tossing flowers down the great divide

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 11:46:19 -0400
Dear Matthew and David,    (01)

I mostly agree with the points you made in notes from the thread
of the Ontology Summit.  They remind me of the split between
theory and practice that has plagued computer science and systems.    (02)

I recommend a survey of the issues by Joseph Goguen:
    http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~goguen/pps/tcs97.pdf
    Tossing algebraic flowers down the great divide    (03)

Excerpt from page 1:
 > Computer science is in deep crisis, expanding, fragmenting, and
 > specializing faster than any other discipline, faster than anyone
 > can understand, let alone predict.  Moreover, computer science is
 > increasingly seen as marginal to its applications, and this is
 > particularly true of theoretical computer science.    (04)

Goguen wrote this paper in 1997 as "a diary of a very personal journey"
of his experiences from the 1960s to '90s.  Along the way, he moves
"from a mathematical view of computing, through a process of
questioning of why it wasn't working as hoped, to a wider view that
tries to integrate the technical and social dimensions of computing."    (05)

Today, the divide is just as great or greater.  In the copy below,
I relate the exchange between Matthew and David (shortened by some
deletions) to some of the issues that Goguen discusses. My comments
are prefixed with JFS.    (06)

John    (07)