Re: [ontolog-forum] [ontolog-forum On The Origin Of Experience

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Steven Ericsson-Zenith <steven@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 00:46:34 -0800
Dear John,    (01)

Thank you for taking the time to review.    (02)

The lecture can be found at http://youtu.be/zF5Bp_YsZ3M - I include it
here to point out that the Q&A at the end of the lecture provides
additional comments related to the Peirce family, computation, and an
outline of the equations involved.    (03)

Paul Borrill is a friend and occasional colleague. We have spoken
about time a great deal. In this lecture Paul makes many good points
but, watching this presentation again, I am left with the fact that
Paul does not make clear the epistemology involved.    (04)

I am glad that you appreciate my epistemological endeavour. I agree
with all of your comments and those of Peirce and Scott. Scott's is
the word of greatest caution; to whit, do we have the clarity of
conception for a fully formal account of experience - and the answer
is, sadly, no. Although this book certainly takes steps toward it. We
need a broader consideration of structure by biophysicists and a
definitive account of cellular genesis.    (05)

For me time is a redundant formal notion, and this is Mach's point,
given on the slide in Paul's presentation - that speaks, at core, to
time being a purely mathematical way of speaking about motion and
energy. It cannot be absolute, it must always be relative, but this
is, in fact, because it does not exist.    (06)

My view says non-locality is an evident product of the basis of
experience in flexible closed structures, i.e., it is a feature of the
world evident in all biophysics. No experience reduces to a point and
its presence must play a physical role upon structure in both sense
and response.    (07)

I hope you will be receptive to my sending you the full book for
review when I am ready.    (08)

Regards,
Steven    (09)