Re: [ontolog-forum] 3D Movies From a Single-Pixel Camera

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 15:37:45 -0500
I was kidding and reflecting a bit on how I am picking up some useful
ideas, one e-mail at a time here.    (01)

Your comments are interesting and I am glad I asked.    (02)

I wasn't clear from your first post how it related to ontology or which
current discussion prompted your comments.    (03)

Ron    (04)

On 13/02/2014 3:27 PM, John F Sowa wrote:
> Ron,
>
> Since you didn't put an emoticon at the end of that comment,
> I'll assume that you intended it to be taken seriously.
>
> RW
>> Are you hinting that if we focus better and apply our brains more
>> fully, we can get a higher level of understanding of ontology,
>> one e-mail at a time?
> My primary "hint" is that engineers have always learned a lot
> by studying solutions adopted by nature for related problems.
> The Wright brothers, for example, learned how to control their
> airplanes by studying how birds warped their wings. Their major
> advance was in solving the problem of *control*, not power.
>
> For intelligence, neuroscientists are far from understanding the
> detailed working of brains (human and animal), and AI researchers
> are very far from simulating human abilities.  They have learned
> a lot from each other, but there is much more to be discovered.
>
> For example, insect brains accomplish an amazing level of intelligence
> with a tiny amount of neural matter.  They don't have eyes that flit
> around to construct a larger scene from multiple smaller images.
> Instead, they have compound eyes, which are correlated to form
> whatever it is that insects "see".
>
> Furthermore, nobody knows how the brains of vertebrates relate
> info from both eyes to info from the other senses.  Perhaps the
> _compressive sensing_ (CS) methods used for single-pixel cameras
> are related to the methods used in the brains of humans *and*
> insects.  Using CS for single-pixel cameras was pioneered at
> Rice University.  See http://dsp.rice.edu/cs
>
> John

Ron Wheeler
President