[ontolog-forum] describing time periods (with predicators)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John McClure <jmcclure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 14:07:35 -0800
I've removed this from the summit's thread, as it's irrelevant to the substance of Ed's reply to Andrea.

A time period can be relative to non-event resources too, i.e., a time period can begin or end upon the existence of a resource, regardless of its type. Should predicators be used then tense (& deontics) would be discernible; statements with be:from vs was:from vs is:from vs will-be:from can be qualified by when the statement is made, eg using is:as-of. Therefore:

(a) should a time-period be said 'from' or 'upon' a non-date resource, then it should be proper to infer that it is some moment of existence of that resource which marks the start of the time period being described. It is the reasoner's job to discover that moment. Ditto for 'until' and or 'through' statements indicating the end of the time period. These different prepositions obviously indicate open or closed time period ends.

(b) existential (infinitive form) predicates indicate statements existentially factual in nature. For instance, one's name can change after marriage, though one's birth name is always one's name, regardless of later name changes. One's current name is therefore properly identified by 'has' while the infinitive 'have' could normatively indicate one's birth name.

(c) the timeliness of statements relative to their actual realization highlight the continual need to update ground facts as time passes. Statements can migrate from being a 'can-be' to a 'will-be' to an 'is' to a 'was' (or to a 'be', depending on its existential truthiness).

My point is to demonstrate that predicators clarify issues related to time (and deontics) which ontologies to-date seem silent about. This technique relies on widely-understood English language, with none of the artificiality of other techniques.

thanks/jmc