Re: [ontolog-forum] Simple Glossary of Data related Terms

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 13:37:02 -0500
On 1/4/14 12:50 PM, Rich Cooper wrote:

Dear Kingsley,

The definition you offered for “big data”:

“Data that's disparately located, varied in structure, voluminous, and rapidly changing.

doesn’t fit what most uses of that word seem to imply.  Businesses maintain big data history files which they mine for discovering knowledge.  But normally, that big data is stored in a data center on the local area network (not on the internet per se) to protect it from outside eyes.  Your definition emphasizes the internet, domains on it having lots of data which can be linked.  Most big data is not really linked – it comes from SQL and NoSQL databases that were captured in the business.

I am not insinuating that "Big Data" is linked, quite the contrary. My claim is that "Big Data" is a term that refers to:

“Data that's disparately located, varied in structure, voluminous, and rapidly changing.

For example, many store chains keep records of how customers visit retail aisles, how much time they spend at each section, and what they finally buy before leaving.  The stores may forward the data to HQ over the internet, but it is protected by encryption, VPNs, etc to keep it from prying eyes.  After it reaches HQ, it is stored and mined.

So my suggestion is to differentiate “Linked Big Data” from the usual “Big Data”.  That way, you can distinguish which kind is being described.

Yes, which is why I treat "Big Data" as a term that's distinct from "Linked Data", "Linked Open Data", and the "Linked Open Data Cloud" in this document.

--

Happy New Year,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO