Re: [ontolog-forum] ONTOLOG community event planning and scheduling sess

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael Brunnbauer <brunni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 17:24:49 +0100

Hello Kingsley,    (01)

I want to follow up on SQL views over triple data using a real life use case:
An app where users can create individuals (entities) in a dataset.
Data is modelled like this:    (02)

<entity> rdfs:label "..."
<entity> a <...>
<entity> rdfs:isDefinedBy <rdf document>
<rdf document> a sioc:Item
<rdf document> sioc:has_creator <account uri>
<rdf document> dcterms:creator <user uri>
<rdf document> sioc:has_container <dataset uri>    (03)

The model introduces two distinctions that are not relevant for the App and
would not be present in a relational database:    (04)

-The distinction between account and user (with different URIs)
-The introduction of the RDF document as intermediary between the created
 individual (<entity>) and the user/account    (05)

This makes consistent updates of the data with SPARQL more complex than with
the corresponding (more application specific) RDB.    (06)

I suppose it is not possible to define an application specific SQL view over
this data in Virtuoso that removes the distinctions so that:    (07)

-Creation of an individual is possible by specifying label, type, and account.
 The intermediary RDF document and the user URI are created and maintained
 automatically.
-Updating the account of an individual automatically also updates the
 dcterms:creator <user uri> triple.    (08)

It seems that good, application independent, modelling has the downside of
complicating apps that use such a RDF model as data storage. I still prefer
a RDB with an app-specific schema and generation of application independent
RDF from that RDB.    (09)

Regards,    (010)

Michael Brunnbauer    (011)

--
++  Michael Brunnbauer
++  netEstate GmbH
++  Sitz: München, HRB Nr.142452 (Handelsregister B München)
++  USt-IdNr. DE221033342
++  Geschäftsführer: Michael Brunnbauer, Franz Brunnbauer
++  Prokurist: Dipl. Kfm. (Univ.) Markus Hendel    (013)