[ontolog-forum] The Passing of Bob Smith, Professor Emeritus and a longs

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 15:30:37 -0700
I am saddened by the news from his wife, Suzie (by way of Bob's close
colleague, Lamar Henderson) that Bob Smith has passed away. As she
wrote, Bob passed peacefully in his sleep, on Thursday evening, Oct.
31, 2013.    (01)

Those of us who were there would have recounted that Bob was still
with us the morning of Oct-31, when we had our RulesReasoningLP
virtual panel session-2. As Leo Obrst puts it, Bob was a longstanding
member and valued contributor to the Ontolog community, and we will
miss him.    (02)

To me, Bob has been a colleague, a friend, a scholar and a fine
gentleman. We had worked side-by-side, for over a decade, trying to
move "Ontology and Semantic Technology" into the main stream, by way
of assembling the communities of practices, and championing community
activities to that end. Bob's knowledge, wisdom and selfless character
has been instrumental to the growth of Ontolog and those communities.    (03)

Among the more significant contributions by Bob Smith to Ontolog and
related communities, were:    (04)

* his role in establishing a working relationship (still ongoing
today) between the Ontolog community and the folks at Stanford Medical
Informatics (back in 2004) - see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologWorkshop_July_2004/ProtegeOntologWorkshop_2004_07_06    (05)

* his co-authorship of the whitepaper "A Case for the Ontological
Expression of E-Business Standards" by KurtConrad,BoNewman and
BobSmith, released at the Dec. 1, 2004 EIDX "Semantic Harmonization"
Panel Session (Menlo Park, CA, USA). This paper is based on work of
the Ontolog Forum and its [CCT-Representation] project -
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid26    (06)

* his leadership role in the crafting of the Ontolog community's
"Response to the National Health Information Network RFI" from the
National Coordinator back in 2005. - see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?NhinRfi    (07)

* his leadership role in convening the  BuildingServicePerformance
(BSP) Project, along with DeborahMacPherson, MichelleRaymond,
TobyConsidine & RexBrooks - ref.
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?BuildingServicePerformance    (08)

* the thrust and support he provided to folks like RexBrooks,
MichelleRaymond, et al. in Ontology Applications in Emergency Response
and Emergency Management - ref.
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2007_01_25 &
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2008_02_14    (09)

* the leadership role he had (in collaboration with DeniseBedford) in
the "Ontologizing Ontolog" initiative - ref.
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologizingOntolog    (010)

As a community, we have benefited hugely from what Bob has done, and
yes, we will miss him dearly.    (011)

Regards. =ppy    (012)

Peter P. Yim
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?PeterYim