Re: [ontolog-forum] Terminology and Knowledge Engineering

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 15:26:50 -0400
On 9/17/13 2:58 PM, Rich Cooper wrote:

Kingsley,

That post is a year and a half old!  But it still is true.

Long story short, a system upgrade plus a mail sorting order error, lead to this old post being presented to me as a new mail :-)

Kingsley

Language is ambiguous because it is compressed, with losses, so that communication among people can be as efficient as possible in conveying the speaker’s intended content to the listener for the listener’s interpretation.  The listener is the active interpreter, not some set of rules on symbolic structure.  That interpretation is nearly always distinct from the speaker’s intent because the world we speak about is very complex and language is a snap statement about that world.

The emphasis, IMHO, should be placed on the INTERPRETATION of the URI’ed file by the reader, not on the material of the writer who developed the page in the first place.  In this forum, we consistently have ignored interpretation as an active process conducted by each individual.  We seem to have preferred a one-size-fits-all interpretation dictated by the page author to meet some symbolic architecture which doesn’t exist, which we can’t agree on, and which is far from universal in its acceptance.  That hasn’t worked, and won’t.

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com