Re: [ontolog-forum] Intelligent ids and postal codes, was ONTOLOG commun

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 16:23:47 -0400
On 9/11/13 3:45 PM, David Eddy wrote:
Ed -

On Sep 11, 2013, at 1:02 PM, Barkmeyer, Edward J wrote:

The problem of 'semantics' in 'postal codes' is the 'intelligent identifier' problem.

Sometimes called "overloading" I believe.

Plus there's the little conflict with the rules of the physical world... when we go to the grocery store, the jug labeled MILK always contains milk.

So far we haven't learned to build information systems like that.

M0760 is a perfectly acceptable computer label & Lord only knows what it means or contains.

Yes, but that label is more than likely associated with a particular system identifier that has a referent i.e., the system can produce a description of the identifier's referent.  At the very least, you have a system that ultimately maps the literal identifier "M0760" to its specific system meaning, right?

Kingsley

David Eddy
Babson Park, MA

deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx