Re: [ontolog-forum] Laws: physical and social

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Barkmeyer, Edward J" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 12:20:23 -0400
> EJB
> > But they [drivers who slowed down on seeing the police] were up to
> > that point violating the law; they are only taking  care to avoid having the
> violation OBSERVED.
> JFS
> Thank you for confirming my point:  The meaning of the law is in the
> prediction of consequences.  In those cases where the agents can predict
> that there are no undesirable consequences, the law is meaningless.    (01)

And therefore, the law and its legislated consequences are not a prediction of
behavior.  There are several other variables involved in predicting legal v.
criminal behaviors.
I repeat:  Holmes explanation of the practical meaning of the law is not an
axiom.  The philosophy of 'enforcement' of deontic rules is an entirely
separate topic.    (02)

-Ed    (03)