Re: [ontolog-forum] Laws: physical and social

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 13:52:22 -0400
On Sat, June 8, 2013 10:35, John F Sowa wrote:

> The major distinction is between physical laws and social laws, but
> I was also emphasizing the similarity noted by Peirce and Holmes:
> both kinds of laws make predictions, and those predictions are
> fundamental to the meaning of the laws.    (01)

> The continuity I was emphasizing in the previous notes was the range
> of social phenomena from preferences to habits to laws.    (03)

Here, what you appear to be referring to is "tendencies".  Grouping all
of these under the phrase "social law" seems stretching that term.  I
suggest that habits and preferences have a closer relation to rules and
enacted laws than any of them do to "natural laws" of science.    (04)

-- doug foxvog    (05)