Re: [ontolog-forum] is-part-of: a really, really, bad practice?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: William Frank <williamf.frank@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 09:41:14 -0400

On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 3:42 AM, John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 5/31/2013 2:56 PM, William Frank wrote:.

> There are some sticky points with this, such as the fact that
> many concepts drift so that at one end, there is nothing in common
> with another use at the other end of the drift

I wouldn't say "nothing in common".  There is usually enough
in common for a preliminary classification.  But the detailed
reasoning has to be done in the more specialized theories
(or microtheories).

You are right, John, instead of "many concepts" above, I should have said 'there may even be some concepts'.

And, I should not have even said this family resemblance stuff at all.  I try to stick to the main point, and leave all the qualifications, greater precision,  for when they are needed, or for others.   But it is a tough discipline, which I fail at often.

Wm

John

--
William Frank