Re: [ontolog-forum] Why a data model does not an ontology make

To: "ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rodriguez-Muro Mariano (A)" <rodriguez@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 13:13:45 +0000
Dear Kingsley,    (01)

I am the main developer of ontop and quest, we met during ISWC in Boston last
year. Regarding your comments about our benchmarks of ontop and virtuoso. During
ISWC you made similar remarks regarding our benchmarks and offered direct
assistance through Virtuoso's support team. We did take your offer and started
working with Virtuoso's support the team. The support case is #20228, Garry is
our
contact.     (02)

During the last 4 months he helped us setup our Virtuoso instances and verify
our results. We did get
better performance from Virutoso compared to the one you saw in Boston,
however, the SQL queries produced by Quest still came up ontop of Virtuoso by a
very
big margin in the
tests that we did using BSBM and MySQL 5.5 as a backend. If the rewriting
process
is also taken into account, the difference is smaller, but still strongly
in favour of ontop and Quest plus MySQL.     (03)

The results where also confirmed by Garry using the machines at open link.     (04)

In the process we also found and reported several bugs that produced wrong
answers or crashes in Virtuoso RDF Views. Garry contacted the development
team of virtuoso and said they were working to fix the problem.    (05)

Not all the new results are online, however, some of them and
the changes we did to the INI file as recommended by Garry are located at    (06)

http://ontop.inf.unibz.it/?page_id=74    (07)

and in the wiki page that is linked there.    (08)

In sum, we are surprised with your comment about our benchmarks and 'the way
we advertise' our work.     (09)

Greetings,
Mariano    (010)