Re: [ontolog-forum] The innocents on death row would hate this

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ronald Stamper <stamper.measur@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 21:10:50 +0000
Dear John,    (01)

Adopting an actualist ontology does not prevent one from believing
all kinds of sense and nonsense. It just makes one look very closely
at the manner in which people arrived at their beliefs, where they
obtained their information and who was responsible for formulating
it, reporting it, arguing in favour of what it said etc. etc.    (02)

As you say:
''But it's also important to emphasize that there is a reality out there
> that is independent of our minds or of the collective minds of all
humanity."
which is a very sensible position to adopt when dealing with a huge range of
problems.  In the appropriate circumstances, I imagine everyone of us
participating in Ontolog would share that belief.    (03)

An actualist ontology does not rule it out nor any other belief.  Actualism
reminds us that it is a belief rather than a fact that cannot be questioned
no matter how often emphasised by however many people.  it also
draws our attention to the complex patterns of discourse that created the
belief and help to maintain it.  Those complexities do not facilitate logical
manipulations as you might imagine, but the schemas also have some
elegant structures.    (04)

Ronald    (05)

On 12 Feb 2013, at 17:07, John F Sowa wre:    (06)