Re: [ontolog-forum] Human knowledge domains ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: William Frank <williamf.frank@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 15:42:08 -0500
Sergey,

I do think that upper ontologies do not mostly organize knowledge by domains of the human endeavors intended to extend our knowledge, which is what your examples below show.

Rather, upper ontologies are concerned with indidviual concepts, like attitudes, things, and events.  One of these individual concepts might be domain of endeavor.  I think or hope that the definion of such a concept would not lead to its subtyping by different domains, like astrophysics, as part of the upper ontology.

I think domains of human knowledge have been considered most extensively in library science, and in university course catalogs, and in encyclopedias. (including the Wikipedia)

But this is not a nice hierarchical structure -- thus university courses and even departments change regularly.

And, so Librarians turned to faceted analyis in the early 1970s.

There are journals and conferences etc about these kinds of classifications.

The Library of Congress has a new subject classification starting in 2012.  The Dewey Decimal System is a little rustier.