Re: [ontolog-forum] Modeling expectations and expirable events

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 14:50:54 -0500
On Mon, January 7, 2013 17:25, Simon Spero wrote:
> We can reify the events, Davidson style.
>
> We can define classes for MessageSendingEvent and ReplyReceivedEvent.    (01)

> ;;; If a reply is received for a message sending before the deadline,
> ;;; there is a second message sending whose contents depend on the
> ;;; contents of the reply    (02)

The response should be to a different agent.  Note:
>> If response does not occur, expecting agent will respond to *other* agent
>> with negative feedback.
>> If respond does occur, expecting agent will evaluate response and
>> provide feedback
I assume that feedback should be to "*other* agent" as well.    (03)

> (forall ((MessageSendingEvent ?Send1 (ReplyReceivedEvent ?Reply))
>  (if (replyReceivedInTime ?Send1 ?Reply)
>       (exists ((MessageSendingEvent ?Send2))
>       (and
>        (= (SenderFn ?Send1) (SenderFn ?Send2))
>        (= (TargetFn ?Send1) (TargetFn ?Send2))
Thus this constraint should be removed.
>        (= (ContentsFn ?Send2) (ProcessMessageFn (ContentsFn ?Reply)))))))    (04)

> ;;; If a message is sent and there is no reply received before the
> ;;; deadline,    (05)

Such a rule needs to wait until after the deadline to determine that
no reply is received before the deadline.    (06)

> ;;; there is a second message sending whose contents
> ;;; are the Nack for the first message.    (07)

A message that no response was received to a message is more specific
than a negative acknowledgement of the message.    (08)

> (forall ((MessageSendingEvent ?Send1))
> (if (not (exists (?Reply)
>  (replyReceivedInTime ?Send1 ?Reply)))    (09)

This needs to be conjoined with:
    (< IndexicalNow()  (+ (EndFn ?Send1) (MaxWaitTimeFn ?Send1)))
Note that the maximum wait time is likely to be a function of the
message, or its type.    (010)

>     (exists ((MessageSendingEvent ?Send2))
>       (and
>        (= (SenderFn ?Send1) (SenderFn ?Send2))
>        (= (TargetFn ?Send1) (TargetFn ?Send2))
This constraint should be removed.
>        (= (ContentsFn ?Send2) (NackFn ?Send1))))    (011)

i suggest:
       (= (ContentsFn ?Send2) (NoResponseToFn ?Send1))))    (012)

> ;;; replyReceived holds if ?Reply is a response to ?Send
> (forall ((MessageSendingEvent ?Send) (ReplyReceivedEvent ?Reply))
> (iff (inReplyTo ?Send ?Reply)
>     (replyReceived ?Send ?Reply)))    (013)

Good.    (014)

> ;;; replyReceivedInTime holds if ?Reply is a response to ?Send that was
> received before the deadline    (015)

> (forall ((MessageSendingEvent ?Send) (ReplyReceivedEvent ?Reply))
> (iff (and (replyReceived ?Send ?Reply)
>  (< (StartFn ?Reply) (+ (EndFn ?Send1) MaxWaitTime)))    (016)

It depends on how the deadline is defined if the the reply event has to
start or finish before the deadline.    (017)

Again, (MaxWaitTimeFn ?Send) seems more appropriate.    (018)

>     (replyReceivedInTime ?Send ?Reply)))    (019)

-- doug f    (020)