Re: [ontolog-forum] Simplifying the language and tools for teaching and

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 12:52:01 -0500 (EST)

> Dear  William,

MW: As I explained, this does not work with a data model where you want
> be able to extend your ontology in data, in particular being
able to add
> subtypes as data instead of changing the data model
by adding entity types
> each time you identify something new.
Changing data models is expensive
> compared to changing data. You
therefore need the entity type that the
> subtypes of e.g.
activity would be instances of, and this is
> class_of_activity
(or activity_type whatever your taste is).

> So,
perhaps defining class_of_activity as a special kind of class *is*
> peculiar, but useful, as a way to get run-time subclasses in a
relational
> database.

MW: I don't see why it should be considered peculiar. There is nothing
> strange or peculiar about powersets. The only question is whether
they are
> useful in a particular context.
>
>    (01)

> Perhaps I was misunderstanding your models as intended to be
optimal for
> understand and formalizing the ontology of a domain
of human endeavor,
> while instead they are intended to optimally
support that understanding in
> way that can be used
in a given kind of technology.  A way to avoid the
> 'impedence
mismatch' between classes or E/R entity types and relational

tables.

> MW: You are essentially
correct, but I would put it slightly differently.
> For me there
is an underlying ontology that includes the subtypes both

directly and within the powerset, and depending on the implementation
> technology different parts come to the fore. For example, there is
an OWL
> version of ISO 15926 that just uses the subtypes.
Different implementation
> technologies have different limitations
that you have to live within.

> As below:
>
> MW: Well I wish you luck when you are working for a client and
saying
> every
> time they want a new category they have
to change the data model rather
> than
> adding a data
record.

> This is indeed a problem, I can
see how this might be a very good
> solution.
> I think
there is more than one solution to it.

> MW: There usually is, but the growing emphasis on Master and
Reference
> Data
> Management, which generally follows
this approach, suggests widespread
> adoption.
>

> Regards
>

> Matthew West
>
> Information  Junction
>    (02)

> Tel: +44 1489 880185
>
> Mobile: +44 750
3385279

<mailto:matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/>

http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/

<http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/> http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/

> This email originates from
Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
> and Wales No.
6632177.

> Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way,
Letchworth Garden City,

Files: http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/
http://ontolog.cim3.net/wiki/
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid1J