[ontolog-forum] NCBO Webinar: Editing and Publishing OWL 2 and OBO ontol

To: OBI Developers <obi-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, mged-ontologies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ogms-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, bfo-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Trish Whetzel <plwhetzel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 10:16:54 -0700
The next NCBO Webinar will be presented by Tania Tudorache and Matthew Horridge from Stanford University on "Editing and Publishing OWL 2 and OBO ontologies with WebProtégé and BioPortal" at 10:00am PDT, Wednesday, Oct. 10.  Below is information on how to join the online meeting via WebEx and accompanying teleconference. For the full schedule of the NCBO Webinar presentations see: http://www.bioontology.org/webinar-series.

ABSTRACT:
WebProtégé is a collaborative ontology and knowledge base editor for the Web.  In this talk, we will present the latest WebProtégé developments, including support for the editing of OWL 2 and OBO ontologies, the new OWL-API backend and the the various collaboration features. We will describe how WebProtégé can be customized as a domain-expert friendly tool and show the OBO specific user interface widgets that are optimized for editing components of OBO ontologies.  We will demonstrate how users can upload and download ontologies, share them with collaborators, and simultaneously edit and comment on them. All ontology changes are recorded, and can be inspected by editors, curators or reviewers.  We will also show how users can collaborate using the notes and discussions features, as well as the watches and notifications functionality.  Finally, we will demonstrate how WebProtégé integrates with BioPortal services so that, for example, users can search for and reference terms in BioPortal ontologies at the click of a mouse.  We will conclude with our plans for the future development of WebProtégé and its integration with BioPortal.

SPEAKER BIOS:
Tania Tudorache is a research scientist in the Stanford Center for Biomedical Informatics Research. Her main research interest is the collaborative development of ontologies applied to the biomedical domain. Dr. Tudorache has more than 9 years of experience with ontology development and Semantic Web technologies. She is also one of the key team member of the Protégé team. As a research scientist, Dr. Tudorache has done extensive work on the collaborative development of large biomedical terminologies and ontologies. She has also designed and implemented the initial versions of WebProtégé – a light-weight ontology and knowledge base editor for the Web. She is the lead person of the team developing the ICD Collaborative Authoring Tool (iCAT) - an adaptation of WebProtégé that the World Heath Organization is currently using to build the 11th revision of the International Classification of Diseases. Dr. Tudorache has organized and chaired several international Semantic Web conferences, and has served as a program committee member on numerous occasions.

Matthew Horridge is a research software developer in the Biomedical Informatics Research Group at Stanford University. He works on the Protégé project, developing front and back end components for both WebProtégé and Protégé 4.  In addition to this, Matthew has worked extensively on the design and implementation of the OWL API, which is the most popular API for dealing with OWL ontologies and underpins the latest versions of WebProtégé and Protégé 4.  His research interests centre around the explanation of entailments in ontologies and he recently received a PhD from the University of Manchester in this area.

WEBEX DETAILS:
To start or join the online meeting
Go to https://stanford.webex.com/stanford/j.php?ED=205918092&UID=481527042&PW=NMmEyZWM0YTg1&RT=MiM0

Meeting Number: 923 724 964
Meeting Password: ncbo

Audio conference information
To receive a call back, provide your phone number when you join the meeting, or call the number below and enter the access code.

Call-in toll number (US/Canada): 1-650-429-3300

Global call-in numbers: https://stanford.webex.com/stanford/globalcallin.php?serviceType=MC&ED=205918092&tollFree=0

Access code:923 724 964

Trish Whetzel, PhD
Outreach Coordinator