Re: [ontolog-forum] More about the IBM Watson project

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 22:34:02 -0400
On 9/18/2012 9:37 AM, William Frank wrote:
> While AI is trying to get computers to act more like people, most
> traditional corporations are still trying to get people, at least people
> who produce software, to act more like simple computers.    (01)

That's true.  But that's not because they want to make people act
like computers.  The simple fact is that we are still very far from
designing computers that are as flexible as people.    (02)

Please note Slide 8 of the goal.pdf file (copy below).    (03)

In less than 3 years, Laura acquired a level of language understanding
that far surpasses anything that we can get our computers to do.    (04)

In fact, if her parents took her to any country in the world, she would
be chattering in the language of that country in just a few months --
while the parents would still be struggling with their phrase books.    (05)

And she would do that without any phrase books, dictionaries, or teachers.    (06)

John
________________________________________________________________________    (07)

Source: http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/goal.pdf slide 8:    (08)

              The Ultimate Understanding Engine    (09)

Sentences uttered by a child named Laura before the age of 3. *    (010)

    Here’s a seat. It must be mine if it’s a little one.
    I went to the aquarium and saw the fish.
    I want this doll because she’s big.
    When I was a little girl, I could go “geek geek” like that,
    but now I can go “This is a chair.”    (011)

Laura used a larger subset of logic than Montague formalized.    (012)

No computer system today has Laura's ability to speak, learn,
and understand language.    (013)

* John Limber, The genesis of complex sentences. In T. Moore (Ed.),
Cognitive development and the acquisition of language. New York:
Academic Press, 1973.
http://pubpages.unh.edu/~jel/JLimber/Genesis_complex_sentences.pdf    (014)