[ontolog-forum] Transactions and full text search with triple/quad store

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Simon Spero <sesuncedu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 15:03:41 -0400

On Jul 7, 2012 12:06 PM, "Michael Brunnbauer" <brunni@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There may be triple stores that support transactions and full text indizes (Kingsley?) but I don't think they come without cost like MySQL. But that may change with time...

Jena TDB supports transactions:
http://jena.apache.org/documentation/tdb/tdb_transactions.html

Jena RDB and Virtuoso allow transactions to be used as provided by the underlying database system.

http://www.openlinksw.com/dataspace/vdb/weblog/vdb%27s%20BLOG%20%5B136%5D/1690

Jena LARQ supports full text indexing:
http://jena.apache.org/documentation/larq/index.html

Nothing in this message should be treated as an endorsement of any triple or quad store for any specific porpoise.

Simon

On Jul 7, 2012 12:06 PM, "Michael Brunnbauer" <brunni@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Pat,

On Sat, Jul 07, 2012 at 10:18:01AM -0500, Pat Hayes wrote:
> ... the entire RDF/OWL/SPARQL suite,
> which in turn is superior to deployed RDBM technology.

If you use SPARQL via an API that supports transactions (that excludes HTTP).
And if the triple store supports full text indizes. And if the random seek
overhead of having data in triples instead of tables and rows is not to high
for your application. And if you have an expert that is able to model your
data as triples.

There may be triple stores that support transactions and full text indizes
(Kingsley?) but I don't think they come without cost like MySQL. But that may
change with time...

Regards,

Michael Brunnbauer

--