[ontolog-forum] Neo4J for Ontology

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 22:30:30 -0400
Duane,    (01)

I'm moving this thread to the more general Ontolog Forum.    (02)

DN
> Neo4J?  Given the large instance data sets, I have been finding it an
> ideal database to work on as it models graphs really well.  It uses a
> traversal model to find associated data...
> Check this out: http://console.neo4j.org/usage.html    (03)

For really Big Data, node-by-node traversals of graphs degenerate
to a combinatorial explosion.    (04)

I'm sure that things like Neo4J can be useful for many applications,
but if you really have large graphs and large numbers of graphs,
you need to index the data.  And there are some very good methods
for indexing finding exact and approximate matches.    (05)

In particular, the organic chemists have been pioneers in searching,
indexing, and matching huge graphs.  They abandoned brute-force
traversal methods in the 1980s.    (06)

See, for example, slides 104 to 128 of the following slides:    (07)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/goal.pdf    (08)

For issues of computational complexity, see the subset of slides
from 115 to 118 and the references cited there.    (09)