Re: [ontolog-forum] visualizing ontologies to blind people

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 11:33:16 -0500
On 3/16/2012 10:57 AM, Dima, Alden A. wrote:
> Many of them do not use Braille or magnification to read print but are
> for all practical purposes blind – they need a blind cane for mobility.
> They may be able to read the individual text on a diagram but will tend
> to get lost if the data are spread out.    (01)

That is a very important point.  And that is why the semantics should be
defined in a way that is independent of any specific notation,  graphic
or linear.    (02)

And the notation-independent semantics should be designed in such a way
that it can be easily mapped to any format that anybody might prefer
for any purpose whatever.    (03)

In particular, I strongly recommend controlled natural language (CNL)
as a notation for logic that can be automatically translated to a
spoken form.    (04)