[ontolog-forum] Ontologies and reasoning

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Juan de Nadie <juandenavas@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 17:04:20 -0300
Hi.

I am a beginner in the subject of artificial intelligence, knowledge representation and ontology (in this order).

I think that I don't have understood very well the benefits of ontology to reasoning within the artificial intelligence practice. On the other hand, as I am a beginner, I don't know exactly how reasoning was conceived in AI, before the adoption of ontologies.
Can anyone help me to undestand this?

Some referentials will be very helpfull.

Thanks