Re: [ontolog-forum] Constructs, primitives, terms

To: pcmurray2000@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Amanda Vizedom <amanda.vizedom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 16:41:41 -0500

Phil,

On Mar 2, 2012 3:35 PM, "Phil Murray" <pcmurray2000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Amanda --
>
> I have enjoyed your explanations, but in my experience
>controlled vocabularies -- including ontologies -- can easily
> provide names of concepts that are meaningful and useful
>to people, with little risk of developers making grossly
> unwarranted assumptions -- for example,
>
>      "train (mode of transportation)"
>      "train (clothing)"
>      "train (astronomical phenomenon)"

Thanks. Yes, some version of this is common enough (varying syntactically and by the principles, if any, used to determine what goes in the parenthese (or after the dash or underscore, etc.).

> This is common practice in lexicography and knowledge
> organization. The parenthetical phrase is a "facet" (in the
> knowledge-organization/library science sense; perhaps not
> in the KR sense). This practice seems to work well. Do
> others use it?

It is certainly used at times. IME, the qualifier is not typically a facet or facet indicator, in any of the senses of "facet" I'm familiar with (LIS or ontological). More often it's a mid-level class of which the thing in question is an instance, or a class with "type of" prepended or "type" appended, if the thing in question is a subclass. But other qualifiers are used in other cases, depending on the distinctions that seem most relevant in the intended use context.

> Of course, it may not work well for everything.
>
> Additional notes can make other distinction clear, too.
>
> I'm assuming that the software does not impose unreasonable constraints on punctuation, etc.
>
> Or am I missing your point?
>
>      Phil

Actually, for a machine-processed ontology, there often are some format constraints on name.  Some part of the chain of components handling the ontology, or some language on which exports are made available for standards-compatibility or tool-neutrality reasons will be unable to handle some punctuation, white spaces, etc.. That can often be handled easily enough in automated transformations, but length cannot.  Truncated names like those you've suggested, and you may be back to unclear variants of "train."

With an opaquename (label) system, names can generally be kept quite short, while a longer, intuitive name (label) pair, bulit from the name and lexical mappings together, can be used for human processing.

Length also matters for display, but that has to be managed with the opaquename (label) method also.

Agreed that additional notes can clarify to human users, as can the kind of label information I'm advocating for, as can selected ontological assertions and overall placement in an ontology. All of that is good practice to look at. Pragmatically, in many cases mappings, insertions, and selections need to be done quickly, and humans just don't have the time or robustness against tedium to consistently follow best practice. Less damage is done in those time- or resource- pressured development batches if the primary thing the human sees is as clear and disambiguating as is feasible, is not misleading, and is not playing into some basic human cognitive foible (like the draw to map a _expression_ or concept from elsewhere to a local concept with a string-matching name) that will generate errors under pressure.

Most fundamentally, though, I would say that the difference might be trivial if your ontology will never be used beyond the community for which it is initially developed, and that community has a certain degree of shared background and/or purpose.

The more diverse in backround and purpose the users are (where the difference can be as small as functional role within the same large enterprise), the less well it will work to rely on names with pre-selected qualifiers. The pre-selected expressions will rarely mean the same thing to all users, or be sufficiently relevant to distinguishing concepts from new concepts generated by different communities, or be intuitive and not misleading to all user communities.  Differences in activity-based local jargon might render the expressions less opaque than differences in native natural language, but just as an en-uk and an en-us speaker often confuse each other in a way that an en-* speaker and an es-* don't approach, dialect or jargon differences within a single natural langauge are probably more likely to confuse and mislead.

So, the advantage here of going with opaque names and lexicalized, mapped labels is that many of the confusion and error-generation elements are dropped, while the intuitive labels, even qualified ones if desired, can be selected and used for primary display of concepts. And the modularity makes this selection more flexible and tool-selectable in a way most likely to be intuitive to the user.

Best,
Amanda