[ontolog-forum] NCBO Webinar: Michel Dumontier, Feb. 15 - Formalization

To: protege-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Trish Whetzel <plwhetzel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 14:35:04 -0800
The next NCBO Webinar will be presented by Michel Dumontier from Carleton University on "Formalization of models and simulation results in systems biology" at 10:00am PT, Wednesday, February 15.  Below is information on how to join the online meeting via WebEx and accompanying teleconference. For the full schedule of the NCBO Webinar presentations see: http://www.bioontology.org/webinar-series.

ABSTRACT:
Computational systems biology provides insight into the dynamics of biological systems through computable models based on high quality data. As models get more and more sophisticated, we need to be able to assess their accuracy against current knowledge as well as expected behaviour. In this talk, I will discuss our efforts to formalize SBML model annotations and link them to biological entities typically described in biomedical ontologies. Using the SBML Harvester, we generated a large knowledge base from the BioModels Database and demonstrate sophisticated biological queries involving different types of molecules, their functions and their locations in cellular and anatomical structures. Through automated reasoning, we uncovered errors arising both from SBML abuse and from manual curation. We further formalized time-course simulations and their results, so as to provide insight into molecular and cellular behaviour.  Our work marks a first step towards establishing a bi-directional information flow between systems biology and biomedical ontologies, towards supporting large-scale analyses of biological systems with an integrated systems biology framework for biological knowledge discovery.

SPEAKER BIO:
Dr. Michel Dumontier is an Associate Professor of Bioinformatics in the Department of Biology, the Institute of Biochemistry and School of Computer Science at Carleton University in Ottawa, Canada. His research aims to develop semantics-powered computational methods to increase our understanding of how living systems respond to chemical agents. At the core of the research program is the development and use of Semantic Web technologies to formally represent and reason about data and services so as (1) to facilitate the publishing, sharing and discovery of scientific knowledge produced by individuals and small collectives, (2) to enable the formulation and evaluation scientific hypotheses using our collective tools and knowledge and (3) to create and make available computational methods to investigate the structure, function and behaviour of living systems. Dr. Dumontier currently serves as a chair for the World Wide Web Consortium Semantic Web in Health Care and Life Sciences Interest Group (W3C HCLSIG), and is currently on sabbatical at Stanford University.

WEBEX DETAILS:
To start or join the online meeting
Go to https://stanford.webex.com/stanford/j.php?ED=171726072&UID=481527042&PW=NMzhlMDBjNzk0&RT=MiM0
Meeting Password: ncbo

Audio conference information
To receive a call back, provide your phone number when you join the meeting, or call the number below and enter the access code.
Call-in toll number (US/Canada): 1-650-429-3300
Global call-in numbers: https://stanford.webex.com/stanford/globalcallin.php?serviceType=MC&ED=171726072&tollFree=0

Access code:925 756 393

Trish Whetzel, PhD
Outreach Coordinator