Re: [ontolog-forum] Terminology and Knowledge Engineering

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John Bottoms <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 09:44:48 -0500
Ed, John,

There are domains and there are depths of vocabulary. I had known about Basic English's 850 words (C K Ogden) and I just learned that there is also a Basic English 1500 word list (actually 2626 words).

BE1500 includes BE850 plus 350 international words, and 300 words for the general fields of trade, economics, and science. Those 300 constitutes the beginning of a set of technical vocabularies.
    http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/BE_1500

As I understand it, NATO uses Simplified English to machine translate weapons system documentation to Simplified<NATOlanguage>. These require the addition of one or more technical vocabularies. There is even a Bible written in Basic English (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_in_Basic_English).

Voice of America uses Simplified English which permits 5 different types of sentence constructs, though the grammar guidelines are confusing. I'm trying to find out if there is an agreed-upon grammar for VOA Simple English. There are also references to Special English which appears to build on BE1500.
http://www.voanews.com/learningenglish/about-us/

From: http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:How_to_write_Simple_English_pages
To sum up, the preferred sentence forms are:
  1. Subject-Verb-DirectObject.
  2. Subject-Verb-IndirectObject.
  3. Subject-Verb-DirectObject-IndirectObject.
  4. Subject-Verb-DirectObject-SubordinateClause.
  5. Subject-Verb-DirectObject-IndirectObject-SubordinateClause.
What we don't have is a partitioning of a natural language. Many have proposed new languages and I tire of examining them. But, I would be very interested in seeing a reasonable partitioning or a set of rules with 100% coverage that allows partitioning.

-John Bottoms
 FirstStar Systems
 Concord, MA USA