Re: [ontolog-forum] Some Grand Challenge proposal ironies

To: Christopher Spottiswoode <cms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Phil Murray <pcmurray2000@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 08:26:46 -0400
Thanks, Christopher.    (01)

I look forward to developments on the Ontology Chemistry wiki.    (02)

Christopher Spottiswoode wrote:
> Phil,
>
> +1 on your entire approach in your 5 points below.
>
> Interestingly, this is how Tim Berners-Lee once put it rather neatly (in
> a now dated though still comparable context):
>
>> The job of classifying all human output is a never-ending one, and
>> merges with the job of creating it.
That's a great catch and a great reminder. Of course, we have to define
"classify" and "human output" very thoughtfully.    (03)

For example, in the interview from 1996 with Tim B-L that you cited, we
have the exchange:    (04)

 > TR: What will using the Web be like in a few years, assuming these
developments occur?

 > BERNERS-LEE: You won't see a browser, you will see a document.    (05)

[snip]    (06)

I hope we will see much more than "documents." I hope we will also see
forms of knowledge representation that directly support  understanding,
memory, and creation of value.    (07)

BTW,  in the late 1980s Rob Akscyn and Don McCracken, developers of the
pre-Web ZOG and  KMS (the Knowledge Management System) hypertext
systems, proposed a KMS-like interface as an operating environment -- in
effect inverting the relationship between applications and documents and
other computer-application work products. (I edited the spec for them.)    (08)

The Semantic Advantage
Turning Information into Assets
phil.murray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
401-247-7899    (011)