Re: [ontolog-forum] For us standards-inclined folks to ponder

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 14:03:34 -0400
On 10/15/2011 8:28 AM, Christopher Spottiswoode wrote:
> Dilbert on security standards.    (01)

Those examples show why "proactive" standards have rarely been
successful.  The most useful standards are usually cleaned up
versions of de facto standards.    (02)

One of the best examples is ECMAScript, which finally produced
a single good version of JavaScript that every browser now
supports.    (03)

I would also quote my own law of standards:    (04)

> Whenever a major organization develops a new system as an official
> standard for X, the primary result is the widespread adoption
> of some simpler system as a de facto standard for X.    (05)

For more examples and explanation, see    (06)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/computer/standard.htm    (07)