Re: [ontolog-forum] Enterprise Ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ed Barkmeyer <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 11:12:08 -0400
While we are on the subject, there is an interesting OMG standard in the
enterprise ontology area -- the Business Motivation Metamodel:
http://www.omg.org/spec/BMM/1.1/PDF
It was developed by the DAMA Business Rules Group and published as an
OMG standard by agreement.    (01)

I think it qualifies as an 'ontology' by the Wikipedia definition that
Dave Price cited.  I would describe it as an upper ontology for business
policy and strategy.  (Much is made of its being free of methodology.)
And there are at least two 'consulting support' tools that use it that
way, refining it for individual corporate clients and their
methodologies of choice.    (02)

Yes, it is formally captured in UML (you can download the UML model from
the OMG site, but good luck getting into whichever UML tool you may
have), but the conversion to OWL should be straightforward, and I
suspect someone has already done that.    (03)

-Ed    (04)

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                Cel: +1 240-672-5800    (05)

 and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."    (06)