Re: [ontolog-forum] any ontology for software development/engineering ou

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 08:57:56 -0400
On 10/12/2011 7:58 AM, Erick Antezana wrote:
> I was asked to come up with an ontology capturing terms related to the
> software development process...    (01)

 From Cory C:
> There are some software process standards of interest that could be turned
>into Ontologies:
> OMG SPEM: http://www.omg.org/spec/SPEM/2.0/
> ISO/IEC 15288, ISO/IEC 24744 and ISO/IEC 12207
> And an interesting activity: Software Engineering Method and Theory (Semat)
>http://www.semat.org    (02)

 From Dave B:
> You may want to check these out ...
>

>http://swoogle.umbc.edu/index.php?option=com_frontpage&service=search&queryType=search_swd_ontology&searchString=Software+Development&searchStart=1    (03)

 From Marc W:
> You might also want to consider the Software Assurance Evidence Metamodel
>(SAEM)
>
> http://www.omg.org/spec/SAEM/1.0/Beta1/    (04)

That's the greatest thing about standards -- you can always find one
that is incompatible with everybody else's.    (05)

I often quote a remark that Terry Longstreth made at a database
conference in 1980:    (06)

> Any one of those tools, by itself, is a tremendous aid to productivity.
> But any two of them together will kill you.    (07)

The conceptual schema, which was a hot topic in those days, was supposed
to solve the incompatibility problem.  Then ontologies began to address
the problem.  Then we got the Semantic Web.    (08)

The more solutions we get, the worse the problem becomes.    (09)