Re: [ontolog-forum] Barriers for domain ontology reuse -Discussion

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 11:24:16 -0400
On 9/30/2011 8:02 AM, miniaoui asma wrote:
> 1-What are the barriers for domain ontology reuse?    (01)

Most application ontologies are designed for some specialized purpose,
with some specialized assumptions about how they will be used, and with
some basic assumptions about the upper- and mid-level ontologies.    (02)

Any developers with different assumptions or with legacy systems based
on different implicit assumptions will find it difficult or impossible
to reuse other ontologies, even ones designed for very similar projects.    (03)

> 2-What a domain ontology creator has to do in order to make his ontology
> suitable for reuse?    (04)

We need better tools that can facilitate knowledge sharing and reuse.
The database community recognized that problem in the 1970s, the
knowledge base community tried to address that problem in the 1980s,
the ontology community tried to address that problem in the 1990s,
and the Semantic Web tried to address that problem in the 2000s.    (05)

For a brief summary of the issues, the attempts to address the problem,
and some recommendations for the future, see the following slides:    (06)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/iss.pdf
    Integrating Semantic Systems    (07)

Following is an article that elaborates some of the issues:    (08)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/futures.pdf
    Future directions for semantic systems    (09)

My brief summary of why we don't yet have suitable tools:    (010)

    People who don't know history keep making the same mistakes.    (011)

Cynical remark:  The single biggest barrier to improvements in the
Semantic Web is the assumption that the SW is somehow "different".    (012)