Re: [ontolog-forum] Making the Ontology Summit content Accessible

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 13:20:03 -0700
I totally agree with John's assessment.    (01)

By combining tools wisely, we can get results that no single tool can
provide. We do not have to lock our choice of tools in concrete
either, as long the content accumulated can be preserved and reused
(even when we migrate to newer and better tools.) That's essentially
the path we (Ontolog running on the CIM3 collaborative work
environment) have been doing.    (02)

Just to recap, we now have generic tools like:    (03)

  o   a set of archived mailing lists - as our conversation workspace
  o   a wiki - as a collaborative authoring* and "shared display" (to
keep everyone on the same page) workspace (* augmented by the use of
google-docs as need be)
  o   a set of webdav (cloud storage) servers - as our shared-file workspace
  o   some real-time tools (phone conferencing, screen-sharing, ...)
  o   some asynchronous, archival tools (virtual session-recording,
google-docs, ...)    (04)

along with more specific tools (now or future) like:    (05)

  o   a (federated) open ontology repository (OOR)
  o   an set of ontology editing tools (CODS, etc.)
  o   (svn repositories) version controlled shared-file repository(ies)    (06)

Most of the above are providing "backend" capabilities or "workspaces"
... which will definitely be improved if augmented by a compelling,
user-friendly, aesthetically pleasant facade, which, I take, is part
of what Ali is planning to do ... of course, his proposal of having
that be "ontology driven" takes it to a new level, that we should all
be excited about.    (07)

Bottom line (as I see it) ...    (08)

* we will continue to work with a multi-modal input capture strategy
* there will not be one tool replacing everything any time soon (at
least, not for us)
* we will need to work on more effective means to get our message out
(which is what Ali et al. is trying to draw our attention to)    (09)

Regards.  =ppy
--    (010)