Re: [ontolog-forum] (Open?) Data as Mediated by Access to Information Re

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 08:50:33 +0100

Dear Ali,

I’ve had occasional insight into the Freedom of Information situation in the UK, which is very similar with likely unsustainable increases in costs. What is really needed is a change in attitude on openness.

One of the things I used to say (admittedly to be deliberately controversial), about information security in Shell was that, with a few exceptions, we should take all our filing cabinets, and put them out on the street, and invite our competitors to rummage through them – at least then we would know they were not doing anything more usefulJ

So publishing information as a matter of course, and then using the biggest single gain in productivity in the retail industry over the last century (self service) is almost certainly the only sustainable answer. LOD is almost certainly a technical part of the answer here, in fact I think public administration data is likely to be the largest use of LOD as time passes.

Regards

Matthew West

Information  Junction

Tel: +44 1489 880185

Mobile: +44 750 3385279

Skype: dr.matthew.west

matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/

http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England and Wales No. 6632177.

Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.