Re: [ontolog-forum] More on Watson

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 12:47:24 -0500
On 3/8/2011 12:18 PM, terry.longstreth wrote:
> It probably looks more contrived to me than it should because the
> Author's name is so wrong (should be *Robert Louis* Stevenson).    (01)

I doubt that omitting "Robert Louis" would make much, if any,
difference.  Just Stevenson plus "Treasure Island" would
uniquely select the book.    (02)

In any case, the phrasing of the question was not done
by the Watson team.  Following are the questions that were
being gathered from anyone who wanted to submit them:    (03)

http://www.pcworld.com/article/220053/ibm_watson_team_takes_your_questions.html    (04)

In any case, this question could have been answered just as easily
by Google.  If you type the question with quotes, you get 47 hits
about the blog posting.    (05)

But if you delete the quotes, you get 93,400 hits.  The first is
the Wikipedia article for _Treasure Island_ and the second is the
Wikipedia article for Long John Silver.    (06)

That is an example that Google can answer almost as well as Watson
with much less computation.    (07)