Re: [ontolog-forum] Damon Horowitz on Limitations of AI

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pavithra <pavithra_kenjige@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 14:48:40 -0800 (PST)

Damon Horowitz has a AI question answering system called aardvark.
http://vark.com/

I believe he has valid concerns about people turning to machines for answers..
However we " the computer science geeks"  have been preaching collaboration and social networking using technology for sometime now.   As a result we have all sorts of social networking tools  where people talk to other people online and develop a network or a sounding body that psychologist used to preach about..   At present machines and systems and tools do  enable collaboration and communication among humans  the way AI folks call them.  I call them / us - just PEOPLE.

Asrdvark  finds people from its own network to answer the questions..

( I asked "who is Obama?"  it said, too short a question, could you enter more explanation ?"..)

What does philosophy do?  In my humble  opinion,  Philosophy helps accept what one can or can not do with grace and dignity.   If you are a philosopher,  you can never fail, because there is always a valid reason why " it was never meant to be"..... like my grandmother used to say.. !!

Pavithra