Re: [ontolog-forum] EXTERNAL: Re: I ontologise, you ontologise, we all

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Nimz, Buck" <buck.nimz@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 16:11:38 -0500
New to the forum but a while back someone mentioned the concept of form and
function which are architectural principles - more specifically a heuristic
"form follows function" (or more accurately 'That form ever follows function')
which can be attributed to American architect Louis Sullivan who was a mentor
to another American architect: Frank Lloyd Wright. Architecture deals with the
principles of design, organization and especially structure - the why. Whereas
engineering typically involves the what and how. For architects, an engineering
background is very helpful but not a necessity as engineers are often engaged
after the architectural work to "do the math" and make sure the structure does
not break the laws of physics or man.       (01)

In my own work as an engineer, I began moving toward architecting information
management systems from the human users perspective (the why) some years ago
and so that naturally led me into working with ontologies to help design,
organize and structure not just the definition of a term but also the
sense/meaning as part of the overall structure of the information the system
needed to develop, aggregate, reason on and present to the human user. Therein
I was drawn to CS Peirce and the usual suspects. Perhaps Ontology Architect?
Just a thought.     (02)

v/r
Buck