[ontolog-forum] Quote for the day

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 21:11:51 -0500
Happy New Year, folks.    (01)

To start the new year, I'd like to quote an economist, whose observation
is true of nearly every model or ontology on any subject whatever:    (02)

    "Models generally return results close to the assumptions
     of the economists who write them."    (03)

Source:    (04)

http://online.barrons.com/article/SB50001424052970203423004576049913136801914.html    (05)

For an ontology that is designed for a specific purpose, the goal
of getting a result close to what one expected may be desirable.    (06)

But when the goal is to support interoperability among a wide range
of systems that were designed for different purposes, it's unlikely
that there exists an ideal ontology that is equally good for all
of them.  Therefore, any common ontology that can be used to share
data must be a compromise that is less than ideal for each of them.    (07)

There are many implications of this observation.  Instead of trying
to enumerate all of them in one note, I'd like to open this subject
for further discussion.    (08)