Re: [ontolog-forum] problem understanding subClass used

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Simon Spero <ses@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 13:24:27 -0500
On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 12:02 PM, John F. Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 12/17/2010 11:37 AM, AzamatAbdoullaev wrote:
> Paul wrote: "Now what puzzles me is that Event is defined as a subClass of Period."
> That's certainly a bad confusion of a change and its quantity/measure/amount, time.

CRM does treat these things separately:

E2 Temporal Entity is not a quantity of time, but instead is related to an E52 Time-Span by the property P4 has time-span.  For examplethe Yalta Conference (E7) has time-span Yalta Conference time-span (E52).

Oh, I forgot to mention:  "E2 Temporal Entity is specialized into E4 Period, which applies to a particular geographic area. This seems to be more of an example of the problems of naming classes using meaningful strings (the name of every class and property in the CRM does begin with a gensym, but the natural language string drowns it out).

That's another example of the point I made in the note to Jack R:

> The GIGO law has not been repealed, but some people try to deodorize the garbage by spraying some ontology on it.

... but time turns garbage into Middens? And rock crushes lizard?

Simon