Re: [ontolog-forum] Polysemy and Subjectivity in Ontolgies - the HDBIexa

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2010 09:39:52 -0500
On 11/5/2010 10:56 PM, Rich Cooper wrote:
> I'm interested in constructing ontologies from that initial condition of
> only measured data, not rules and relationships just yet (later in the
> ontology's development, we will add rules and relationships, but not
> just yet).
> Here is the study
>
> http://www.hbdi.com/uploads/100021_resources/100331.pdf    (01)

As far as usefulness, I would give it a definite maybe for perhaps
something.  There is an open-ended infinity of possibly useful
statistics, and the human brain uses many different ways of
reasoning and classifying anything and everything.  Among the
various methods, I would guess that this one ranks pretty high up
on the list, several notches above throwing darts at a dartboard.    (02)

Excerpts like the following indicate a deep research strategy
that is undoubtedly far better than tea leaves by themselves,
but probably not as good as an expert tea-leaf interpreter:    (03)

 From the HBDI report:
> Two tests ...
> were chosen after telephone communication with neuropsychologists
> ... were chosen to be related to holistic synthesizing abilities,
> supposedly of the right cerebral hemisphere.
> ... were selected as markers for integrated hemispheric abilities.    (04)

In any case, if anybody is interested in excellent on-line tutorials
about the human brain, presented at levels for beginner, intermediate,
and advanced, I recommend the following web site at McGill University:    (05)

    http://thebrain.mcgill.ca/    (06)

It's possible to jump into any of the subtopics at the beginner level
and move up to the advanced level.  For many of the issues discussed
in Ontolog Forum, the topics under "Thought and Language" are quite
relevant. (And the tutorials are available in both English and French.)    (07)