Re: [ontolog-forum] Copyright in Taxonomies: Leading case in US law(ADA

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ali Hashemi <ali@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 14:40:04 -0400
I thought I had a handle on this, but the more people respond, the hazier the picture becomes.

For clarity, would it be accurate to interpret the ruling as meaning:

If some legal agent uses vocabulary V to codify a taxonomy. Then that taxonomy, using vocabulary V is copyrightable.

Now, given that copyright law extends only to the _expression_ of an idea and not the idea itself, then one would not be in violation of the (c) on the taxonomy(+V) to codify the taxonomy using a novel vocabulary, V2 - where perhaps there is a trivial 1-1 mapping between each element in V and V2? And consequently, the onus on 'protecting' the underlying theory or system of relations of the taxonomy falls to patent law.

Or am I interpreting the Idea-_expression_ divide incorrectly and the new taxonomy(+V2) would in fact be considered a derivative of the former(+V)? If so, at what point (if at all) would a non-trivial mapping make the new work not a derivative?

Thanks,
Ali