Re: [ontolog-forum] OntoNotes and the Omega ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "deddy" <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 21:30:44 -0400
John -    (01)

> If you add up all the concepts in all the official IBM publications,
> internal reports, emails (just the business related ones, not the
> personal messages), research reports and articles, patents, etc.,
> the total number of distinct business-related concepts would be
> in the millions -- and any one of them could be important for
> some software application.
>    (02)

But there were HUGE redundancies in that environment.  IBM was a monopoly, with
a license to print money & there was
negative motivation to be efficient with language.    (03)

At one point didn't IBM have 19 different operating systems on the market?    (04)

I never encountered other than MVS (now x/OS) and DOS-VSE (I think that's the
current name & it was certainly called
something else 30 years ago), so that's four different labels for the same
thing... and I'm quite sure the CONCEPTS in these OSs
were very similar if not close to identical... and a LOT of IBM bafflegab
generators worked very hard to gin up different verbiage
for the same thing.    (05)

Few concepts, many words.     (06)