Re: [ontolog-forum] language vs logic ambiguity and starting withdefiini

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 09:18:14 -0700

Ferenc, John and Pavithra,

I understand that philosophy tries to distinguish between those things (objects) that are real, and which “block the observer’s view”, but that distinction is unnecessary in software engineering.  Even humanly generated unreal constructs such as bank accounts, transactions and property rights are represented by marks in automated symbol manipulating systems, which cannot, by construction, distinguish the symbols from reality.  As Ferenc says, they are all “objects” in the ontological point of view even when they don’t have a physical existence.

It is the correspondence of marks to the observer’s personal interpretation of objects (real and imagined) that matters to ontology as implemented.  Ontologies that distinguish among real and unreal objects may be interesting, but are not useful in engineering models as implemented in enterprise architectures.

So we should distinguish which perspective from which we are debating each of these distinctions.  For philosophers, objects are physical, and for EA construction, it doesn’t matter for most applications.

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com