Re: [ontolog-forum] Whether P=NP and Implications

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jon Awbrey <jawbrey@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 20:16:04 -0400
John F. Sowa wrote:

 > Last week, Vinay Deolalikar presented a claimed proof that
 > P is not equal to NP.  I'd like to discuss it because
 >
 > (a) it's an important problem,
 >
 > (b) the paper has some interesting ideas that are
 >     relevant to the way we design and use ontologies
 >     and the languages for expressing them, and
 >
 > (c) it suggests ways of organizing ontologies
 >     and using languages to express them.    (01)

John,    (02)

A couple of preliminary questions just by way of orientation:    (03)

(1) What kind of thing is an ontology problem?    (04)

Is it like a computing problem, that is, a set of problem instances?
If so, what kind of thing is an ontology problem instance?    (05)

Or is it rather the more preliminary problem of finding a good description
(analogue, model, theory, or whatever) of a given domain of phenomena in a
suitable language formalism?  If so, I think most folks will recognize that
as a fundamentally abductive or inductive problem, linked with but distinct
from the problems of computing with the chosen description once it's found.    (06)

(2) You seem to be taking it for granted in what you say above that
     there is a language independent concept of what an ontology is --
     I would probably agree with that, but I just wanted to check
     whether I'm reading that right.    (07)

Jon    (08)

inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/
mwb: http://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey