Re: [ontolog-forum] Lightweight, middleweight, and heavyweight semantics

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 12:36:15 -0400
John -    (01)

On Jul 2, 2010, at 10:20 AM, John F. Sowa wrote:    (02)

> To make the distinctions memorable, good labels are necessary.
> I suggest the following four levels of semantics:
>
>   0. Zero semantics:  Data with no explicit semantics of any kind.    (03)

Obviously I like this idea of "graded" labeling.    (04)

But I'm having a hard time getting my noodle around "Data with no
explicit semantics of any kind."    (05)

If there's no semantics, WHY has it been collected?  (Thinking in
terms of enterprise systems such as accounting, securities trading,
HR, etc.)  Surely it must MEAN something to someone?    (06)

David Eddy
deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx    (07)

781-455-0949    (08)