Re: [ontolog-forum] Questions about specific ontologies

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Charles F. Munat" <charles.munat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 02:35:26 -0300
Thanks, John.    (01)

My goals with this ontology are as much to learn about ontologies as
anything else. I won't know what use they might be with any certainly
until I understand them better.    (02)

I'm a web application developer. Many of my applications require
somewhat complex authorization controls. I'm particularly interested in
attribute-based or some combination of attribute-based and role-based
access controls. I read an interesting article about using XACML and OWL
to create an access control system that's capable of making some
inferences. Sounds like a match made in heaven to me.    (03)

Starting more simply, the first thing I'm trying to do is to model an
organizational hierarchy that is essentially a DAG. In simplified form,
it is a hierarchy of administrative units:    (04)

State -> Region -> County -> District -> Town -> School    (05)

But a particular unit can have two or more parents and can skip levels.
In other words, School A might be adminstered by both Town A <- District
A <- County A <- Region A <- State A and, say, Special District 1 <-
Region A <- State A, if that makes any sense.    (06)

So a School (or higher unit) could report directly to a County or
Region, for example, but a Region could never report to a County or
School. The relationships always go in one direction.    (07)

I am wondering how one would represent this sort of relationship using,
say, OWL and Protege.    (08)

Down the road, I am hoping to build an extensive "expert system" of
sorts around a drink recipe database. Recipes would be entered in a
procedural way using a DSL (add ice to a mixing glass, add 1.5 oz dry
gin, .5 oz dry vermouth, 2 dashes of orange bitters, stir, strain into
chilled cocktail glass, garnish with a lemon twist). I envision the
ingredients as a large graph with numerous types of relationships
(whole/part: orange/orange peel; general/specific: bourbon/Maker's Mark;
etc.). I'd like the system to be able to recommend substitutions and
estimate what effect they would have.  But that's a ways down the road...    (09)

Any suggestions, ideas, comments, links, etc. very welcome. Am I way off
base here?    (010)

Chas.    (011)