Re: [ontolog-forum] Cultural variation in cognitive machinery

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 09:46:54 -0700

John, that Pirahã language is amazingly different!  Here is a quote from your NY mag link:

Unrelated to any other extant tongue, and based on just eight consonants and three vowels, Pirahã has one of the simplest sound systems known. Yet it possesses such a complex array of tones, stresses, and syllable lengths that its speakers can dispense with their vowels and consonants altogether and sing, hum, or whistle conversations.

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com