Re: [ontolog-forum] 2nd CfP: Workshop on Computational Spatial Language

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 12:28:02 -0400
Adrian,    (01)

When you mention Executable English, my response to you is the
same as my response to Lotfi Zadeh when he mentions fuzzy logic:    (02)

    It's useful for many purposes, but it's not a panacea.    (03)

LZ sent a note to the BISC group (Berkeley Initiative in
Soft Computing).  I decided to respond by relating his note to
the issues raised in the announcement for the CoSLI workshop.    (04)

Following is my note to BISC.  After that is LZ's original note.    (05)

John
____________________________________________________________________    (06)

Dear Lotfi,    (07)

I'd like to relate your recent note to ongoing research on language,
perception, and the computational issues of processing both:    (08)

LZ> A major obstacle to precisiation of meaning is imprecision of
 > natural languages.  Basically, a natural language is a system for
 > describing perceptions.  Perceptions are intrinsically imprecise,
 > reflecting the bounded ability of human sensory organs and ultimately
 > the brain to resolve detail and store information.    (09)

Following is an announcement of a Workshop on Computational Spatial
Language Interpretation (CoSLI):    (010)

    http://www.cosli.org/    (011)

An excerpt from that announcement:    (012)

CoSLI> ... the same preposition can have multiple meanings, and
 > such variance must be handled through either underspecified
 > models that can be stretched to particular situations, or models
 > which incorporate multiple disparate meanings that are assigned
 > to terms as a situation invites, or models that take into account
 > vague interpretations in situated contexts.    (013)

This is a good summary of the issues.  Before any computational
method can be applied to the problem, it's necessary to analyze
the reasons for the ambiguity and vagueness.  The next sentence
of the announcement suggests some reasons:    (014)

CoSLI> While early models of spatial term interpretation focused on
 > the geometric interpretation of spatial language, it is now widely
 > recognized that spatial term meaning is also dependent on functional
 > and pragmatic features.    (015)

In other words, the language a speaker uses to describe perception
is only partly determined by the geometry (What is it?) but also by
the function (What does it do?) and the pragmatics (Why do we care?).    (016)

Furthermore, perception can be extremely precise.  Just think of
athletes, gymnasts, and fighter pilots who accomplish amazing feats
of precise perception and response in dynamically changing situations.
Our human precision in hand-eye coordination was bred into our genes
by 30 million years of simian ancestors swinging from tree to tree.
Just one mistake could eliminate an unlucky cousin from the gene pool.    (017)

LZ> What is needed for this purpose is the machinery of fuzzy logic.
 > In fuzzy logic, as in natural languages, everything is or is allowed
 > to be graduated, that is, be a matter of degree.    (018)

As I have said many times, fuzzy logic has many useful applications.
But it does not address the critical issue of relating a time-varying
three-dimensional geometry to a linear string of words that a speaker
chooses for a particular function and purpose.    (019)

The CoSLI announcement continues:    (020)

CoSLI> Competent models of spatial language must thus draw on complex
 > models of situated meaning, and while some early proposals exist it
 > is not at all clear how geometric, functional and pragmatic features
 > should be integrated in computational models of spatial language
 > interpretation.    (021)

I agree that your "qualitative measure of proximity" is useful for
many purposes.  But much more is needed to integrate "geometric,
functional and pragmatic features" with "computational models of
spatial language interpretation."    (022)

John    (023)